Kuantan...
Not realizing time passes that fast, I have been in Kuantan for almost 4 months. Meaning to say, I have worked for the past 4 months. Time flies and I am enjoying every second of my life in Kuantan.
Kuantan town is located east of Peninsula Malaysia, about 260 km from KL (around 3 hours drive if you abide the speed limit). All I can say about Kuantan, it’s a very small town (much smaller than Ipoh). Within a day, I can probably bring you guys to entire kuantan town tour. It’s that small, trust me. Only a few shopping complexes and a few pub/clubbing area.
Living in Kuantan definitely opens my horizon wider in terms of working world and daily life. Between studying and working, both have their own pros and cons. For me, with RM2500 per month, I will definitely choose working life rather than studying. However, with the current situation now (only RM500 per month allowance for trainee), I would rather study. Underpaid labour, cheapo engineer. What do you expect?
I have been in deep thoughts recently, thinking about my situation now and the future. With only average RM2500 as starting pay (as an engineer) how can we be a millionaire within 10 years. Please contra 11% deduction for your EPF as well. With so many liabilities such as car loans, housing loans, food, entertainment, petrol and etc how can we get rich within a short period of time. Sometimes I do question myself, why do I study engineering? Why not business or medicine? Why these, why that.
Engineer pays peanut, that’s the real life fact. We study so hard, but get paid so little. The smart manager will hire a brilliant engineer. That’s why you don’t see any engineers in the top Forbes 10 richest person in the world. Some of you may argue that working offshore or becoming a plant manager earns you a 5 digit salary. That’s not the point as there are risk involve while being offshore and to become a plant manager, it takes you years as in 15 years and above.
So with the current situation now, how do we get rich in 10 years? I don’t mean to be materialistic or money face by issuing this statement, however we do need to think about our future. As the old Malay proverb says “Takkan kita mau kais pagi, makan pagi. Kais petang, makan petang”. I certainly do feel with the current situation now, we need to do something to change something.
How do we change something small to become something big? Invest in share market? Unit trust? Forex trading? Real estate? Fixed deposit? Bonds? Insurance scheme? Uncle Magnum? Uncle Toto? Uncle PMP? Uncle Lim? Or even 6/42 or 6/49 or 6/52? All these investments have their own risk, please do it within your limits. Nothing is easy, but starting something new is a small achievement already.
All these have been going through my mind while working in Kuantan. Please look at the positive side of my post, take criticism positively and separate the good from the bad. Debate any issues if you want by posting in the comment section, I will reply the best I can. Before I end this post, your opinion on this question will be a good thought provoking for yourself and us too.
The question is, “Do you prefer studying as in university life or working life? Please state why and support your statement. You can do this by posting in the comment section. Thanks and ciaoz
P/S: This post sounds so formal. Sometimes must be serious also mar. Takkan play play all the time. Haha..
Kuantan town is located east of Peninsula Malaysia, about 260 km from KL (around 3 hours drive if you abide the speed limit). All I can say about Kuantan, it’s a very small town (much smaller than Ipoh). Within a day, I can probably bring you guys to entire kuantan town tour. It’s that small, trust me. Only a few shopping complexes and a few pub/clubbing area.
Living in Kuantan definitely opens my horizon wider in terms of working world and daily life. Between studying and working, both have their own pros and cons. For me, with RM2500 per month, I will definitely choose working life rather than studying. However, with the current situation now (only RM500 per month allowance for trainee), I would rather study. Underpaid labour, cheapo engineer. What do you expect?
I have been in deep thoughts recently, thinking about my situation now and the future. With only average RM2500 as starting pay (as an engineer) how can we be a millionaire within 10 years. Please contra 11% deduction for your EPF as well. With so many liabilities such as car loans, housing loans, food, entertainment, petrol and etc how can we get rich within a short period of time. Sometimes I do question myself, why do I study engineering? Why not business or medicine? Why these, why that.
Engineer pays peanut, that’s the real life fact. We study so hard, but get paid so little. The smart manager will hire a brilliant engineer. That’s why you don’t see any engineers in the top Forbes 10 richest person in the world. Some of you may argue that working offshore or becoming a plant manager earns you a 5 digit salary. That’s not the point as there are risk involve while being offshore and to become a plant manager, it takes you years as in 15 years and above.
So with the current situation now, how do we get rich in 10 years? I don’t mean to be materialistic or money face by issuing this statement, however we do need to think about our future. As the old Malay proverb says “Takkan kita mau kais pagi, makan pagi. Kais petang, makan petang”. I certainly do feel with the current situation now, we need to do something to change something.
How do we change something small to become something big? Invest in share market? Unit trust? Forex trading? Real estate? Fixed deposit? Bonds? Insurance scheme? Uncle Magnum? Uncle Toto? Uncle PMP? Uncle Lim? Or even 6/42 or 6/49 or 6/52? All these investments have their own risk, please do it within your limits. Nothing is easy, but starting something new is a small achievement already.
All these have been going through my mind while working in Kuantan. Please look at the positive side of my post, take criticism positively and separate the good from the bad. Debate any issues if you want by posting in the comment section, I will reply the best I can. Before I end this post, your opinion on this question will be a good thought provoking for yourself and us too.
The question is, “Do you prefer studying as in university life or working life? Please state why and support your statement. You can do this by posting in the comment section. Thanks and ciaoz
P/S: This post sounds so formal. Sometimes must be serious also mar. Takkan play play all the time. Haha..


1 Comments:
At 3/5/08 3:30 AM ,
Jackie Voon said...
I like working life for the fact that we have freedom to do what we like outside working hours..get paid "some" salary that we can spend...but when seeing all those hard earned money flow away so easily and quickly...its heartbreaking.."oh man...have to wait another 3 weeks...(coz u probably finished spending it in the 1st week after getting ur salary)" also, while working...u get to meet ppl of different levels, with the tough part being able to communicate with them effectively..."effectively" is the key word here.. there's one thing i hate about working...ROUTINE and repetitive jobs..but, we cant run away from that..coz its what we do best(apparently)
University life...i Like the sports, birthdays, network games, movies, series, clubs, weekend trips to the shopping mall..but NOT the assignments, timelines, boring lectures, ridiculour rules, exams, classes at zombie hours,
full stop.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home